logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Small problem with global index

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Nov 28 16:56:11 GMT 2021

Hi Ticker,

I think I found an example in a map for China. A road name contains U+200E      LEFT-TO-RIGHT MARK
https://www.fontspace.com/unicode/analyzer#e=55Sw6LSd4oCO5LiJ6Lev

Another road name doesn't contain this.
Both strings are TERTIARY equal but not identical.

It should be possible to create some test maps to find out how Garmin treats this :)

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Ticker Berkin <rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk>
Gesendet: Samstag, 27. November 2021 13:05
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Small problem with global index

Hi Gerd

The drastic case which mdrUnicode_v9b fixes is the index byte size
crash, and this is most easily demonstrating by having enough ignorable
characters, eg shields or Chinese & Unicode without the original Sort
fix.

Until this crash point is reached, I've no idea if there is a problem
that can be demonstrated. However, the data structure whereby Mdr25
shares the same byte-size pointer to Mdr5 strongly indicates that these
should be kept in step and anything that allows Mdr25 to be bigger than
Mdr5 muse be wrong.

The new version of Sort for Unicode assumes that if ordering has been
defined for any characters in a [256] page, then any characters in this
page but not defined will get a zero/ignore sortOrder. If nothing has
been defined for the page the code will invent an sortOrder. So some
diag code in Sort should be able to list some other characters that
will get a zero sortOrder, hopefully there might be some nice name-like
chars amongst them.

Apart from the ignored sortOrder chars making a difference between
TERTIARY and .equal():
A significant consideration is that Sort.java doesn't sort higher than
the TERTIARY level, so it is possible to end up with a section of
TERTIARY same records, but adjacent records in this set might be
.equal() or there might be a non equal record between equals. Again, no
idea if this will matter in areas like the repeat flag setting, but it
indicates strongly that should use collator.compare rather than
.equal() for dedup.

Ticker