logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Small problem with global index

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Nov 20 16:49:52 GMT 2021

Hi Devs,

did not find a solution for this yet but I noticed that MapSource creates a different mdr for this small map.
If I got that right the order in Mdr11 also depends on the city/region and in Mdr19 the "repeated name" flag also considers this.

I'll try to modify MdrCheck to find out if I am right here.

My current thinking is that we have to identify (in this order)
1.  unique countries -> each gets a number
2. unique regions -> name and number of country, each gets a number
3. unique cities -> name and number of region (we probably need an empy region for each country), each gets a number
4. POI -> name and city number

No idea yet where Garmin considers upper/lower case differences or special "characters" like the highway shield codes.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Gerd Petermann <GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Samstag, 20. November 2021 14:59
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] Small problem with global index

Hi Ticker,

while experimenting with the index and unicode I found a rather simple case that doesn't work as expected.
I've attached a small example file and a patch for the default style.
A map produced with these options and the patched style
--style-file=d:\mkgmap\resources\styles\default   --lower-case --preserve-element-order --code-page=1252 --gmapi --index --housenumbers --bounds=bounds.zip bad-search.osm
produces a map that shows an error in the POI search.
I search for name=abc123x in region Bayern and get the correct result list of three different restaurants named abc123x.
I search for name=abc123x in region reg1 and get the correct result list of three different restaurants named abc123x.
Now I also fill the search field city with Burgpreppach.
with name=abc123x in city Burgpreppach and region Bayern the result is still correct.
with name=abc123x in city Burgpreppach and region reg1 the result is not correct, it also lists the objects in region Bayern

So far I found no correction for this.  It also doesn't seem to depend on the lower-case option. Any idea?