logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [mkgmap-svn] Commit r4810: revert changes from r4809 for now, they caused more trouble

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Nov 4 16:57:52 GMT 2021

Hi Ticker,

OK to fix de-dup where it's wrong. So far I found no problem with the different spelling of "De Wijk".
I don't fully understand the discrepancies in the existing code, but the patched code also looks wrong to me with the mixed usage of strengths and String.equals() and collator.compare() or key.compareTo()

If I got that right the changes in mdr5 and mdr7 are just refactoring and OK.
Mdr25 could better use Mdr5Record.isSameByName() (although the method name is a bit confusing)
Mdr29 should probably use strength TERTIARY for the collator instead of SECONDARY, or there should be a comment why a different strength is needed.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Ticker Berkin <rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 4. November 2021 17:17
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] [mkgmap-svn] Commit r4810: revert changes from r4809 for now, they caused more trouble

Hi Gerd

Although the Sort change fixes the Unicode problem reported by Carlos
it demonstrated that the different methods of dedupe between Mdr5 and
Mdr25 can lead to the same error with certain patterns of city names
and so I really think this should be fixed at the same time.

If not, it is a problem waiting to happen and the use of, say, code-
page=936 as in Carlos's second problem, could trigger it.

Mdr25 could be reverted to have the weird logic, but I think it was a
bug that would never happen and the code would always confuse.

The obsolete sort/Mdr20Posn/Index can be fixed as a trivial change
soon.

What to do with city case-variants and their street attachments is much
more complicated and needs addressing in the tile-generation phase more
than the MDR generation. This should definitely wait.

Ticker