logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] MDR and city streets on different tile from POI place=city

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Nov 4 09:55:28 GMT 2021

Hi Ticker,

I fear you lost me. My current understanding is that it doesn't matter much if there is one city or two as long as the index structures are correct and Garmin software finds the objects that exist. MapSource seems to ignore the case differences when it builds the list of city names in the drop down lists, it only showed one entry in my tests. I've not yet tried to understand which variant is choosen, might be the first in the MDR5  section. Anyway, it presents results with different spelling and they all seem to be correct as the correct object is shown when I click on an entry.

Just post the minimal patch(es) and describe the expected effect(s) .

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Ticker Berkin <rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 3. November 2021 17:47
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] MDR and city streets on different tile from POI place=city

Hi Gerd

As per your example with "De Wijk", it could be the same city and
different cities and difficult to decide programatically - esp. if
different tiles.

My attempts to cope with this in the MDR indexes didn't seem to work
and I've abandoned this idea. I'd like to release a minimal patch that
fixes the 2 assertion crashes. With --lower-case, which streets are
attached to the different case variants of a city will not bear
scrutiny - I don't think it did before.

Then we should considering case-sensitivity of street, city, region and
country as a new issue.

Ticker