logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap doing excessive writing and converting to disk if used with --gmapi option

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Oct 11 11:01:43 BST 2021

If it's only about nvme/SSD writes, then you could write to Ramdisk. I do
this for all geofabrik extracts except Europe/Asia continent.
The above patches for not writing again gmap files that exist already are
still important, as it saves on Ramdisk size and is faster as it is not
needed.
Also make sure 7zip or whatever you use for packing uses Ramdisk for
temporary files.

Note however, that this slows down the map compilation process Vs nvme
drives. Ramdisk used much more CPU than nvme for reading/writing, while
only being 2-4 times as fast (Vs Samsung 980 pro). As CPU time for me is
more important than write/read speeds, using Ramdisk Vs nvme is slowing
down map compilation time by around 5percent for me (using imdisk, dataram
Ramdisk even 10 percent). I still do it to save nvme writes.

Actually I think the gmapi-minimal patch v4 could be pushed to trunk. It is
working stable and not changing anything for those not using it. For me it
results in the whole map compilation process being 10% faster, while also
saving all excessive writes.
And while it's convenient to distribute gmapi maps to windows users, I
think .img is far superior.
a) you cannot create gmapsupp.img with mkgmap/gmaptool from gmap files.
b) the performance in basecamp is slightly better for .img maps
c) exporting maps with mapinstall is faster for .img maps
it's still a mystery for me why garmin decided to use the gmap format on
mac and now PC too. They could have just added the info.xml for .img files
too (yes registry is the disadvantage to .img files)

distributing as as gmapsupp.img only is the slowest option for desktop use
(needs to be converted first or read in painfully slow from external
memory). gmaptool not available on mac osx anymore making this even worse