logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] The x prepended to the *.typ file

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Sep 20 07:23:16 BST 2021

Hi Dave,

the typ file contains fields for the family-id and the product-id. If those don't match the values used in the map it will not work, that's why mkgmap creates a copy.
As Ticker said, there is code to prevent that a correct typ file is overwritten, so I wonder how you manage to have the x-file with identical content.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
Gesendet: Montag, 20. September 2021 02:08
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] The x prepended to the *.typ file

Why would you have mkgmap modify a TYP file for any reason? (FYI: My output goes to the same directory that contains my input files.)

I would much rather see some sort of error message than have an undocumented (AFAIK) feature modify my TYP file, especially since there is no indication of that behaviour in the error stream. I've seen this x-file for years and could not (and still don't) see why it exists. Both TYP files always prove to be identical when checked by the ExamDiff program). Reiterating, if there is some sort of conflict in family/product numbers, let the user know about it through error messages and suggest remedies. But don't change his/her TYP file behind the scenes.