logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Documentation for the new Douglas-Peucker options in low-res-opt branch

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Tue Jun 15 08:27:17 BST 2021

I just compile a map of usually Austria or Switzerland, use different
values and first look at it in Basecamp. If it looks good enough I then
transfer it to both Oregon 600 and etrex 30x and look at the map on the
device, cycling through all zoom levels and panning the map around.

On any not really old PC the best value would be very small of course, as
there was is no speed problem. So the biggest value that looks good is
preferably. However on the GPS device such a low value for resolution 21-18
is pretty slow with most map styles. So a compromise has to be found
between higher values or showing less information.

Except for automobile use, resolution 21-18 is only used for getting an
overview, meaning panning the map around. If it is too slow it becomes
useless. That is why I use comparatively high values for those resolutions.

A map to be used in a car needs lower values at 20 and 21 at least.
Polygons like forest, lakes and so on when zoomed out far don't need to be
very exact, so higher values compared to lines make sense. Just not at
level 0 where higher values lead to houses not being rectangular anymore