logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] BaseCamp_Route_Is_Reversing, GPS_Route_Is_Reversing

From ankeric.osm at gmail.com ankeric.osm at gmail.com on Fri Jun 4 12:33:49 BST 2021

Since a very long time (assumption: 2014, BaseCamp 4.3.3) BaseCamp routing will - sometimes - reverse, bites its own tail.

I have always assumed this is a Garmin BaseCamp error. It started with a specific BaseCamp version.

But it may have coincided with a mkgmap update ????

Garmin has always been assuming it’s mkgmap that is responsible for this.

Do these issues have any relation to mkgmap?

To avoid the error:

- Remove the viapoint after which the route is reversing (goes backwards).

- Put viapoint ON junction, not in the middle or beginning of a highway.

- Avoid putting a viapoint besides the highway.

To reproduce: try not to avoid, sometimes the error occurs.

Attached:

BaseCamp_Route_Is_Reversing.png

BaseCamp_Route_Is_Reversing.gpx

Route direction: from east to west.

East or arrow: route is correct.

West of arrow: route is reversing.

Map used for reproducing: OSM_MKGMAP_DEFAULT (But it’s reproduced on all maps (my own Bike_Map, OpenFietsMap, OSM_MKGMAP_GENERAL).

I've seen it happen on GPSMAP 66s as well.

Attached:

BaseCamp_Route_Is_Reversing_12307.bmp

Route navigation here comes from the south and should turn right (east) over the bridge.

But GPS indicates to go straight on and after 80 meters: turn round, reverse, U-turn.

No nodes close junction; highway south = unclassified, highway north and east = secondary

Eric (AnkEric)