logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter default resolution 13 and overview map from default style

From Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Jun 1 14:29:44 BST 2021

Hi all,

I am not sure but I think it is a bad idea to have
overview-levels = 4:17, 5:16, 6:15, 7:14, 8:12
in the default style.
The lowest resolution is 12 while splitter uses the default 13 for its resolution. This also means that tiles from splitter are aligned to a resolution of 13. The lowest level in the overview map is therefore sometimes much more distorted at tile boundaries than the next higher. I think it should be changed to
overview-levels = 4:17, 5:16, 6:15, 7:14, 8:13

I've never thought about this relationship between splitter and the overview map. Just wondered why my test data looks so ugly at resolution 12.
An alternative would be to remove the lowest level completely.
Maybe mkgmap should print a warning when tiles are not aligned for the lowest resolution used in the map?

Any thoughts?