logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] 4179

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon May 17 18:28:52 BST 2021

I meant if there is a line created with continue - and that line is on
the --line-types-with-direction
list, the other copies of that line Or roads should be merged too. And I
think roads should be reversed and merged as much as possible to - also at
resolution 24 if not oneway-1 or on the --line-types-with-direction with
list. However some people may feel that is a single copy of that line is on
the --line-types-with-direction list, then none of those copies should be
merged at level 0, but maybe on other levels or none at no levels at all.
And I also use different linetypes for roads - so highways get thinner when
zooming out. I think this makes a lot of sense for secondary to highway.
Not soo much for others. That is anyhow why I feel roads only exist at
level 0, from level 1 onwards there are only lines, not roads.

Now for one object in OSM I sometimes create up to 10 copies - 5 due to
different level, 4 for additional features and 1 invisible line that is
actually responsible for routing. Having the road invisible overcomes the
problem that there are few routable line types - so only solution is to
make many roads invisible and only map the very common ones to a visible
line type. So there is a pretty big implication on the total size if due to
one of those 10 copies having the direction set or oneway set, all other 9
cannot be reversed to be merged, or not be merged at all. Also the name is
not identical. E.g. I will create one line for a mtb route, another line
for a hiking route. Maybe even several lines so you can see all route
names. Also several copies (up to 4, previously even more but in new
generation devices that lead to crashes) are routable. Also helps in
merging - if you have one road for a relation that always has the same
name, only at intersections with other roads this cannot be merged. While
if there are maybe changes in the name tag, or other subtleties less can be
merged.

I really feel merge as much as possible and consider everything a line from
level 1 onwards.