logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap-dev Digest, Vol 153, Issue 40 Resolution 23 raster problems

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Wed Apr 28 15:59:15 BST 2021

Hi all,

my observations at resolution 22:
I think the patch re-introduces rendering problems at T-shaped crossings, sometimes they look like t-shapes at lower resolutions.
Sample: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/260418111

It seems to filter more small polygons, even with  --min-size-polygon=0.
I think it tends to make polygons smaller, not sure why.

It sometimes reduces wrong zig-zagging, but only for ways with many points. In cities, where roads are often split into many small parts it sometimes makes things worse.

It probably helps for the special case contour lines and therefore I suggest to limit it to them.

Maybe the code to find the best place for a rounded coord should also consider to remove the point if that would give the best result.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Gerd Petermann <gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 28. April 2021 15:21
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] mkgmap-dev Digest, Vol 153, Issue 40 Resolution 23 raster problems

Hi Felix,

I expect (more) small missing parts of complex shapes like forests or waterway areas (those without mkgmap:skipSizeFilter=true) and more obvious differences between shapes and lines, e.g. if a style renders outlines of buildings.

The maps are very different at res 22, so it is hard to say if there are more  improvements then worsenings.

I've experimented with different orders of filters in the past. It's difficult to test because the changes heavily depend on the Styte AND the mapped objects AND the mappers preferences. For example, if landuse areas are glued to highways or not, if landuse areas are glued to other landuse areas or if there nodes are just very close.