logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Error in mkgmaps logging class?

From Mike Baggaley mike at tvage.co.uk on Mon Mar 15 13:02:43 GMT 2021

HI Gerd/Steve,

The current code with the handler set to SEVERE and logger set to WARNING
doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Wouldn't it be better if the default
handler level was FINE, so that just logger filters the messages. I think
warnings should be allowed through by default as well, so suggest

handler.setLevel(Level.FINE);
l.setLevel(Level.WARNING);

Cheers,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerd Petermann [mailto:GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com]
Sent: 15 March 2021 08:52
To: Steve Ratcliffe <sr at parabola.me.uk>; 'Development list for mkgmap'
<mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
Subject: [mkgmap-dev] Error in mkgmaps logging class?

Hi Steve,

Please review:
I've noticed that
log.isLoggable(Level.WARNING)
always returns true when I don't use the -Dconfig.logging option for JRE .
This is unexpected as calls to
log.warn(...)
don't produce any output in this case.

The attached simple patch seems to fix this but I don't really understand
the code.
Maybe you forgot this change in
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/websvn/revision.php?repname=mkgmap&rev=233 ?

In class MultiPolygonRelation we have quite a lot of methods which is meant
to be skipped if logging is not enabled but because of this bug(?) the code
is executed sometimes, maybe with side effects that I don't yet fully
understand.