logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Pending changes

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Wed Feb 17 09:47:52 GMT 2021

Hi Gerd

My views on this.

For most of mkgmap /resources/ (styles, typ-files, documentation,
roadNameConfig.txt, sample.cfg) you don't need to decide if the change
is good or bad, and, almost by definition, it is all cosmetic.

Change requests go through this forum for discussion. After any
refinements necessary, the changes can be incorporated into trunk. It
is very unlikely that this will cause Map generation will become
'broken'. Mostly, it seems, no one much cares because they use their
own styles, TYP files etc.

I view the default style (and the other resources) as a starting point
for new users and a source of ideas for existing users.

It is the ideal place to put rules/comments on any sort of issue that
can be addressed by a style. Generally, more is better; it is easy for
a new user to start with lots and gradually comment out elements they
don't want.

Whenever I notice something that could be improved on my maps, or a
good idea floating around the forum, I incorporated it into my files
and try it. Every now and again, I try to get what I consider
improvements into mkgmap. This isn't for my benefit but, I hope, other
people might benefit from it.

Similarly, mapnik.txt is a good place to put element translations (it
would be nice if we came up with a mechanism where this translation
effort could be shared by any TYP file).

The core/java code is a different matter and I'm very grateful for your
amazing work on "keeping it all together"

Ticker