logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Pending changes

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Mon Feb 15 09:16:13 GMT 2021

Hi Gerd

This has always been a problem with styles, encouraged by
    [... default_name ...], eg:

amenity=embassy & country!=*
    [0x3003 resolution 24 default_name 'Embassy']
amenity=emergency_phone
    [0x2f12 resolution 24 default_name 'Emergency Phone']

I've added to this in an attempt to provide more useful information for
unnamed entities by using constructs like:

tourism=* & name!=* & tourism!=yes & tourism!=no
    {set name='${tourism|subst:"_=> "}'}
amenity=restaurant {add name='${cuisine|subst:"_=> "}'}

What is needed is another "substitution filter" - translate, that takes
an optional parameter "context"; context is normally the name of the
tag. The above would read:

amenity=embassy & country!=*
    {add name='${amenity|translate:amenity}'}
    [0x3003 resolution 24]
amenity=emergency_phone
    {add name='${amenity|translate:amenity}'}

[0x2f12 resolution 24 default_name 'Emergency Phone']

tourism=* & name!=* & tourism!=yes & tourism!=no
    {set name='${tourism|translate:tourism}'}
amenity=restaurant {add name='${cuisine|translate:cuisine}'}

Options would be added to mkmap:
1/ to specify a required language; given as a list, in the same manner as browsers, eg --language=en:gb,en

2/ a set of translation files (zip, list, directory or something),
These could be simple lists of {language,context,tag,translation} where an empty value takes the previous value, so could have:

en,amenity,parking,Parking
  ,       ,bench,Bench
  ,       ,place_of_worship,Church
  ,       ,restaurant,Restaurant

or, ordered in a different way:

en,barrier,fence,Fence
fr,       ,     ,french for fence barrier
de,       ,     ,german ...
en,       ,gate,Gate
fr,       ,    ,french for gate

There would be a special "common" context that is used if the search for language/context/word fails, or if |translate isn't given a context parameter. As a final resort, the untranslated string is initcap'd and underscores are replaced by spaces.

With a bit of trickery anything can be translated:

    {set whatever='${_|def:strToTranslate|translate}'; ...}

Ticker