logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Pending changes

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Thu Feb 11 14:57:11 GMT 2021

Hi all

I've re-made this set of changes, along with a few improvements that
I've gathered over the last 6 months. Following list numbering is the
same as original patch, but include some [extra] notes + new items at
the end.

Relevant threads:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2020q3/031375.html
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2020q3/031424.html

1/ Sometimes charges for using a pedestrian highway are expressed as a
fee rather than a toll, so pick this up in mkgmap:toll.

2/ Show bridges using type 0x10107. With the mapnik addition, these
look good for narrow highways, but might not show for wide
representations like motorways.

3/ Where it is likely that bits of highway might not be connected to
the road/path system, use mkgmap:set_unconnected_type and
mkgmap:set_semi_connected_type to stop the NET/NOD rather than relying
on NETnoNOD (now disabled) and --check-routing-island-len=+ve, which is
being suspected of causing problems on some devices and BaseCamp.

[extra] In all cases where unconnected/semi-connected changes are
mentioned, this only applies to lines not derived from an original/OSM
standard highway.

4/ Quote some filter subst strings that contain spaces - no actual
effect but clearer and safer.

5/ Have line for leisure=track even if area.

6/ Change the type for tracks/raceways etc from 0x30, which doesn't
show on BaseCamp or MapSource, to 0x2a.

7/ For piers, if 'unconnecting', use marine type 0x1040c (Obstruction:
Pier or Jetty) instead of footway.

8/ Change type for the various barriers from 0x17, which doesn't show
on BaseCamp to 0x2b, see:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2020q1/030348.html

9/ Consider natural=cliff a barrier.

10/ Add motorway[_link] roundabouts (yes, some do exist).

11/ Unquote some numbers - no actual effect.

12/ Tweak some road speeds.
[extra] A few more tweaked.

13/ Use 0x09 (high-speed ramp) for road class 4 links

14/ Add footway around car parks if 'connecting'.
[extra] This change is disabled.

15/ Disable coastline. For a long time the tag was suppressed by the
Sea processing and it adds little to the map.

16/ Improve railway platform names and suppress footway if not
'connecting'.

17/ Show disused:railway in the same way as railway=disused.

18/ Have cable_car, gondola, funicular as routable, by default with a
toll and pedestrian only.

19/ Show "Course of old Railway", unless a highway has taken over the
way (for you Eric, but I like it as well).
[extra] This change is disabled

20/ Speed up car ferries.

21/ A few other layout/space fixes.

Additional changes:

22/ motorroad=yes just sets mkgmap:fast_road, which generally increases
the speed/class of the highway and decreases the resolution

23/ natural=landslide like other barriers (eg cliff)

24/ Don't generate (routable) line for highway=unclassified & area=yes;
there are many instances in OSM where this is used to draw a polygon
around a complex junction.

25/ Change the bridleway from 0x07 (Alley) to 0x16 (Trail)

26/ For ferry/platform/aerialway, blank out address fields to prevent
it getting into the Address index

27/ Add comment about colour pallet to mapnik.txt

Patch attached

Ticker