logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin Topo Europe map

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Jan 4 06:01:18 GMT 2021

Eastern and Northern Europe are pretty big... I would say for a map that is
all of Europe - or at least full EU plus UK - covering all roads and
highway=track without NT format it will not work. And you would like at
least some polygons too - lakes, forest, urban area. And big rivers and
some more things. Going to resolution 23,21,19,17 vs 24,22,20,17 is
definitely worth it if its about the 4GB limit IMHO. also 23 resolution
maps will be faster than 24 resolution maps on the device. But more
important is of course that you reduce detail when it comes to map speed.

If it's about car navigation, I feel 23 is alright. When it comes to
foot/bicycle and so on - 24 is a must IMHO. However - who is still using
garmin devices for car navigation? then especially with OSM which in my
eyes misses too much for car navigation while it's advantages don't play
out at all when it comes to maps reduced for car routing. Hard nowadays to
compete with google maps.