logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Garmin Topo Europe map

From 7770 7770 at foskan.eu on Sun Jan 3 07:20:29 GMT 2021

Hi.
I made a few tests to lower the size of the maps.

Comparison is made to my standard map which is based on the styles example in
mkgmap but extended a bit for my purposes. This has 100 % size.
There are 4 levels, 24 is the most detailed resolution.

Setting the resolution to 23 and changing relevant polygons, lines, points to
show at 23 instead of 24. 4 levels (option file).
Size 78 %.

Setting the resolution to 23 and changing relevant polygons, lines, points to
show at 23 instead of 24. 3 levels (option file). levels = 0:23, 1:20, 2:18
Size 64 %.

Using my minimal style (discussed earlier in this thread).
Compared to normal map, it is about 75 % in size.

Using minimal style and
Setting the resolution to 23 and changing relevant polygons, lines, points to
show at 23 instead of 24. 4 levels (option file).
Size 63 %.

Using minimal style and
Setting the resolution to 23 and changing relevant polygons, lines, points to
show at 23 instead of 24. 3 levels (option file). levels = 0:23, 1:20, 2:18
Size 51 %.

I noted that when resolution is set to 23 polygons smaller than the mentioned
raster at ~4.8 m disappear. They also do get distorted. Buildings are such
polygons that are effected a lot, and it is (in my opinion) a good idea to
disable buildings and similar polygons entirely when lowering the resolution.
Coast lines and alike become less detailed of course.
Some line segments have become a bit misaligned (i noted bus stop platforms
and similar short lines can have this issue).

I yet have to check how well these maps work on a unit but it seems possible
to lower the size quite a lot if it is desired.

Regards
Karl