logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Styles, typ and multiple languages

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Mon Nov 9 09:57:39 GMT 2020

Hi Karl

I don't think what you are hoping for can be done. Some of it is
possible for special cases, but not generally.

If a POI has a name and the name is the same as a TYP translation, then
logic can be added to the rule for the point to suppress the name, eg,
for english:

 sport=swimming {set name='${name|not-equal:"Swimming Pool"}'} [0x...]

It is unlikely that any OSM objects are tagged in this rather pointless
way.

There isn't anywhere except the name/label field for a specific name,
and, apart from Roads, there is only 1 name field.

The behaviour of Garmin devices differs regarding showing static
information from the typeCode and/or the name in the map. Some show
both when the item is selected, others just the name if set or the TYP
translation otherwise (and just say "Unnamed" if the item isn't defined
in the TYP file).

A good option for making a more useable map of a foreign country by a
speaker of another language is --name-tag-list.
For example, make a map of Morocco I use:
 --name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name:fr,name,place_name,loc_name
Does this answer your question about multiple name tags?

Ticker