logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Resurrect adjust-turn-headings

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Oct 20 13:48:59 BST 2020

Hi Ticker,

OK, I believe that you tested it well with the default style? Did you also try a style that adds multiple routable ways for one OSM way? Not sure if Felix still uses this for his maps on https://www.velomap.org/  but in the past this lead to all kinds of special cases that do not appear with the default style.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Ticker Berkin <rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2020 14:30
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Resurrect adjust-turn-headings

Hi Gerd

With sharp-angle code enabled, most junctions will get compactDirs;
just a few less than the existing code. Original gmapsupp.img for my
test area was 9801728 and with this change it is 4096 bytes bigger.

I looked at some of the NodCheck angle errors and decided that not much
could be done as it only has the low-res road points to work with.

In mkgmap, the algo using hi-res points gave a good angle in all the
cases I looked at, so the code is now really there to deal with real
sharp junctions that cause the time penalty and misleading direction
pop-ups.

I had a list of troublesome junctions and looked at the angles in 8-bit
and 4-bit format before & after my changes to see that it was doing as
expected. I also looked the leg-time info from MapSource for various
routes. Since then I've been using it a lot for car routing and it
hasn't done anything that I've disagreed with.

It seemed that you had determined that there was no benefit in
increasing angles so that there was more than 1 empty sector between
vehicle arcs, so I just did the same such that it was also guaranteed
to work if the junction went non-compact for some other reason - an
angle of 23 degrees, say the arcs were at -11.5 and +11.5, would
considered non-sharp in compact format but is sharp in 8-bit format.

Ticker