logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] precomp sea test environment

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Sep 14 10:33:19 BST 2020

Hi all,

my current approach for a verification routine is this:
The precomp-sea data contains tiles 512*256 tiles, each covering an area of 50.000x50.000 Garmin units. There is an index  that tells mkgmap if a tile is completely land or sea or if it contains a mix of both.  Only the mixed tiles are stored in pbf format.
Obviously the content of the mixed tiles are likely to change whenever someone changes the natural=coastline data. Also tiles with sea-only may change to mixed when a small island is mapped for the first time, so the check should only look at land-only tiles in the index.
Next thought: If an edge of such a land-only tile is very close to the coast it might become a (correct) mixed tile soon, but it should never be sea-only for a long time even with lots of global warming.

So, I have compiled a text file with 256 lines, each containing 512 characters (either x or blank) to indicate the land-only areas for a sea.zip created with land-polygons-split-4326 data from 2020-09-13.
(I might have used only one bit for each tile but it is much easier to maintain the text file and it is zipped to less than 4kb).
If you open the file with a text editor and chose a small font you'll see the familiar shapes of the continents and large islands.

My plan is to add this file as a reference to ressources and load it when the precomp-sea index is loaded (this happens only once when mkgmap is started). If the reference file contains an 'x' and the corresponding entry in the index says "sea-only" something is probably wrong.

I see two use cases:
1) PrecompSeaGenerator should warn when it computes a new set of precomp-sea data
2) mkgmap should warn when such a bad precomp-sea file is used. Open question: Should it always warn or only when the generated sea in any map tiles are affected?

Another possible approach would be to store also the mixed and sea-only status in the reference (see sea-check-lms.zip). This would allow to do more plausibility checks, e.g. if a previously sea-only tile became land-only. Not sure if this ever happened in the past.

What do you think? Did I miss something?