logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [Fwd: Re: Changes that I made in a recent set of default style files and the reason I have for making those changes.]

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Thu Jul 30 10:19:36 BST 2020

Hi Randolph

It is best to do city... / population test in the way it is done in the
default style. If, after the "place & population > xxx" rules you try
  place=city & population!=* [...]
it will fail if, for instance, the tag was [population=unknown]

The current default style doesn't conflate pizza with italian; each has
and uses the obvious Garmin type. Some conflations are there because
there is a limited and strange set of Garmin cuisine types, including
fast_food. There is no perfect (or even good) solution. If you search
for "American" cuisine, what would you expect to find? Should burgers
be here or under "Barbeque" or "Fast Food"?

BaseCamp and my 2 eTrexes don't find 0x2c1e or 0x2c1f when searching
for "Places of Worship". They also don't appear in you list of TYP
codes. My older eTrex doesn't find 0x2c0d .. 0x2c10 either. My
preference for handling this situation is to add rules for types only
supported by newer devices commented out, before the generic one. Then,
if someone has a device that supports them they can un-comment. It is
also good documentation to show which types to avoid for other
purposes.

Older devices tended to find types off the end of known values with,
say, Find > Attractions > Other, and this is why there are problems
like the one you noticed where 0x2c0d was used for an unspecified
tourism=*. So, it is a bad idea to try and invent meanings for any POI
in the searchable ranges, rather use the closest meaning subtype or
subtype 0.

There was a thread a short while ago about type codes and their
meanings. Here are links to 2 parts of the thread where lists are
attached, but it is worth checking the whole thread.

http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2020q2/030945.html

http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2020q2/030969.html

You can generate a test map with something like:

$ java -jar mkgmap-rVVVV/mkgmap.jar \
  --verbose \
  --order-by-decreasing-area \
  test-map:all-elements \
  mkgmap-rVVVV/resources/typ-files/sameOrder.txt

+ --gmapsupp or --gmapi or whatever

Source is:
 {svn repos}/src/uk/me/parabola/mkgmap/reader/test/AllElements.java

Ticker