logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style lines enhancements

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Jul 27 16:51:21 BST 2020

Hi Ticker,

reg. car parks: In what scenario do the additional routable ways help? Do you think of a car driver who stops there and tries to calculate a pedestrian route to a place which is not yet in sight?

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Ticker Berkin <rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk>
Gesendet: Montag, 27. Juli 2020 17:32
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] default style lines enhancements

Hi Gerd & Nick

I'll comment out the rules that give "Course of old Railway"

Concerning footways around car parks:

I'd used:
  set mkgmap:set_unconnected_type=none;
  set mkgmap:set_semi_connected_type=none;
so that if the footway didn't connect 2 other highways (road or path)
it would be discarded and not create any routing islands.

When walking in some areas, I've found mappers had frequently run
footpaths up to car parks, but not joined them to the road/parking
-alley or other footpaths, so routing that spans the car park fails.
The problem is also common in town center car parks where the car park
is just off the High Street and can be accessed on foot by various
alleys.

Other areas (village greens, parks etc) can be problematic, but greens
are often surrounded by roads and parks & golf courses normally have
the footpaths explicitly mapped.

Having some functionality that join unconnected ends of highways within
a polygon would be a better solution as Nick says. My solution relies
on mappers at least joining the path to the edge of the car park;

Ticker