logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Road speed through urban areas

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Thu Jul 16 15:34:30 BST 2020

muralito at montevideo.com.uy writes:

> Be careful, if you drop the class for traffic_signals it brokes long
> distance routing, because (at least in South America) a lot of
> primarys and trunks have traffic_signals.

I don't think your situation is unusual, but I have never driven south
of Key West :-)

In the US, Interstates ("motorway") never have siganls.

Primaries often do, in more urban areas, and in unpopulated areas rarely
do.  Some US highways near me are posted 30 mph (~50 km/h) and have
lights every 400m, and lots of businesses.   primary in the road
hierarchy - the one I am talking about is US 20 and it goes from Boston
all the way to the west coast - and the biggest road around, arguably
the 4th most important E-W road in massachusetts.  But still  in eastern
mass it is slow to drive on.

trunk, more or less, is supposed to be things that are sort of a bit
like motorways but aren't quite.  around me, those are divided, very few
if any businesses on them, occasional (every mile or so?)  intersections
that aren't grade-spearated.  Typically you can achive 50 mph (80 km/h)
on them and maybe average 40mph/65km/h over longish intervals.