logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Road speed through urban areas

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Wed Jul 8 15:57:59 BST 2020

Fernando Trebien <fernando.trebien at gmail.com> writes:

> maxspeed:practical=* & maxspeed=* & maxspeed:practical < $maxspeed {
> set maxspeed='${maxspeed:practical}' }

Not really bearing on your particular problem, but I don't think
checking with < makes sense. If maxspeed:practical is set, it represents
the speed that people actually can reasonably drive.

It can be that this practical, socially acceptable speed is higher than
the limit.  There is a road around me that is built almost like an
interstate but has an inexplicable 45 mph speed limit.  Traffic normally
flows at 70 mph.  Anyone going 45 mph is really in the way to the point
of being dangerous, and people might call the police to report an
impaired driver.

So if practical is higher, use it.  Which means "if practical is set,
use it".