logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Road speed through urban areas

From muralito at montevideo.com.uy muralito at montevideo.com.uy on Sun Jul 5 01:57:15 BST 2020

Hi Fernando.

My Nuvi routes like an "honest taxi driver". I do not build my maps since now I use the map from i-nis.com.ar (has custom rules for speeds and semaphores).

Put only real facts on OSM data (maxspeed -official limit-, maxspeed:practical, semaphores (I my city they add delay))

As traffic varies along hours of day, or days of week, maxspeed:practical changes, so it's not possible to translate OSM possibly richer data rules to a garmin map to this. It's a compromise, you have to choose a static road_class and road_speed.

My Nuvi have never found a traffic feed in Brazil (RS or SC).
But I have TraficTrends feature enabled, so maybe it learns from my drivings.

Regards,
M.

----- Mensaje original -----
De: "Fernando Trebien" <fernando.trebien at gmail.com>
Para: "mkgmap-dev" <mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
Enviados: Sábado, 4 de Julio 2020 19:46:41
Asunto: [mkgmap-dev] Road speed through urban areas

Hello,

I'm a mapper in OpenStreetMap. We have a user that uses mkgmap with
Garmin devices and he's setting road class inside cities lower than
the local convention to get Garmin to avoid being routed through slow
roads, which is bad practice. [4] I'd like to ask for some advice on
how to help him set mkgmap to avoid such problems without
disrespecting community guidelines.

I've downloaded the source code [1] and read through the default
styles in ./trunk/resources/styles/default/ . If I understood
correctly, it sets road_speed=3 (60km/h [2]) for highway=secondary and
road_speed=2 (40km/h [2]) for highway=tertiary. Those are reasonable
in rural areas, but too fast in urban areas, where average speeds
usually drop by around half of their real speed limit.I also found
rules for handling the speed limit in maxspeed=*, but it seems like
his issue would persist even when this tag is provided in map data.

I think it might make sense to write a custom style [3] setting
road_speed=2 for highway=secondary and road_speed=1 (20km/h [2]) for
highway=tertiary. Perhaps this would then break some rural routes.

I've found that Garmin supports traffic data, [5] but I'm unsure if
this works with maps converted using mkgmap, as I don't own any Garmin
device. Do you know?

Thanks in advance for any information and advice. Best regards,

[1] https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/mkgmap
[2] https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/pdf/style-manual.pdf
[3] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/help/Custom_styles#Writing_a_style
[4] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging_for_the_renderer#General_meaning
[5] https://www8.garmin.com/traffic/index.html

--
Fernando Trebien

Con el nuevo beneficio fiscal, tu facturación electrónica puede ser sin costo.

Informate si aplicás aquí.

mvdfactura.uy