logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] mkgmap-dev Digest, Vol 143, Issue 54

From Joris Bo jorisbo at hotmail.com on Wed Jun 24 17:53:10 BST 2020

Hallo Pierre,

On the mkgmap website is a style manual
https://www.mkgmap.org.uk/doc/pdf/style-manual.pdf

The style is a sort of simple programming language.
A style is mostly based on 4 text files containing style-rules
Every element in the osm data is processed against each rule until a match is found
If no match is found at the end, the element is skipped

The 4 files are processed in the following order
Relations          Hiking routes, cycle routes and so called multipolygon’s
Points              Poi’s
Lines                Highways and other lines
Polygons          Area’s

Best make a copy of the default style first
To hide buildings you can start with commenting out the rule for buildings.
Open the polygons file in notepad and you will find a line

            building=* & building!=no [0x13 resolution 24]

It says: if building tag has any value but the building tag has not the value ‘no’, then add it to the map with id 0x13 but only visible at the most zoomed in level 24. To disable it, just at a # before the line.
Housenumber search is not directly related to the building itself so still works

In case you don’t know and you want to know how osm objects look like, you can go to https://www.openstreetmap.org/ right click and choose ‘Properties’  and you will see how every osm object is tagged so you can base your rules on these info

Maybe this will give you a quick start, more details can be found in the style manual.

Kind regards
Joris