logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Performance of POI search on the Device

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Jun 1 07:20:30 BST 2020

Hi Franco,

I had the same problem with my Oregon and found out that the existence of a 2nd map triggered this. For a test I renamed the 2nd map to *.img_ and was very surprised that this solved the search problem. In my case, the 2nd map was the cycling layer TK-Europe-Bicycling from Thomas Kukuk, but I have no idea why it causes the problems. I assume there is a firmware bug in the Oregon.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von franco_bez <franco.bez at web.de>
Gesendet: Montag, 1. Juni 2020 07:16
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] Performance of POI search on the Device

Hi all,

searching for POIs on my Oregon often is very frustrating. It virtually
takes forever.
Yesterday I noticed that some POI types are reasonably fast, while others
are 10 times slower.

I assume that this is some sort of index Problem.

For example
using my DACH map, built with mkgmap-r4506, map size 2.7GiB on my Oregon
750t
- searching for Gas Stations takes some 5 seconds
- searching for Bank/ATM takes some 50 seconds
- searching for Any-/All Poi types also takes some 50 seconds for the first
Elements to appear in the list.

If I can trust my memory, in the past, maybe some 2 years ago, searching for
Gas Stations was just as slow as any other POI type.

What can I do to get the POI search fast for any POI type in the map ?
I tried --make-poi-index but this didn't make any noticeable difference.

Ciao,
 Franco