logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] performance best practice

From Joris Bo jorisbo at hotmail.com on Sat May 30 12:01:31 BST 2020

Thx for the answer !

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> Namens Gerd Petermann
Verzonden: zaterdag 30 mei 2020 11:18
Aan: Development list for mkgmap <mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk>
Onderwerp: Re: [mkgmap-dev] performance best practice

Hi Joris,

yes, the evaluation of rules is already highly optimized.
1) It uses an index to filter those rules which cannot match.
So, for a way which doesn't have a building tag a rule like
building=* & is_in(...) ....
is simply ignored unless there is a rule which might set the building tag.
2) It uses caches to remember the results of repeated evaluations. Assume that you have highway=residential & surface=paved & (smoothness=bad | smoothness =horrible) [...] highway=residential & surface=paved & (smoothness=intermediate) [...] highway=residential & surface=paved [...] With a highway that has the tags highway=residential  and surface=paved  but no smoothness tag the first two rules will not match but they are probably evaluated. Since the 2nd and 3rd rule contain the same expression highway=residential & surface=paved mkgmap remembers this result as long as no tags are changed.
2a) A BAD idea regarding performance would be this:
highway=residential & surface=paved {set paved_residential=true} paved_residential=true &  (smoothness=bad | smoothness =horrible) [...] paved_residential=true & (smoothness=intermediate) [...] paved_residential=true [...] as this requires more memory and more evaluations. It might make the rules easier to understand though.

2b) Up to now using if () doesn't improve performance. It is just a means to improve readability and the better alternative to the above BAD approach.
So, using
if (highway=residential & surface=paved) then
  (smoothness=bad | smoothness =horrible) [...]
  (smoothness=intermediate) [...]
  [...]
end
can be easier to understand, but currently mkgmap translates it back to the longer rules shown in 2) and thus performance should be equal.

In general, the evaluation of tags is very fast compared with the evaluation of e.g. a is_in(...) style function.