logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] nearby-POI: What to do with several POI arranged on a circle?

From Mike Baggaley mike at tvage.co.uk on Thu May 7 19:58:53 BST 2020

I had a few more thoughts on the multiple POI case.

There seem to be three scenarios that possibly need handling in different
ways:

1. a cluster of POIS that are incorrectly tagged (e.g. every building in a
college is tagged as amenity=college). In this case if there are more than 2
POIS I would ideally like a higher severity level of message to be used so
that I can easily identify the problem and fix it in OSM.
2. a cluster of POIS that are correctly tagged, but I don't need to see
every one (e.g. bus stops within a bus station). In this case I would like
to reduce the bus stops to a single one (or even better if there is a bus
station tagged, remove all the bus stops).
3. a cluster of tags where I am happy to see several of them, but don't
necessarily need them all (e.g. with park benches it is useful to see there
are several, but it's not necessary to see every individual seat).

Regarding the position algorithm, I suggest the merge-at-mid-point option
only operates when there are two POIS. With multiple POIS just choose the
nearest POI to the centre and delete the others for both delete-poi and
merge-at-mid-point. That would solve any problems of it ending up in the
middle of a lake when used on objects surrounding the lake. Or we could just
drop merge-at-mid-point if it is too tricky to come up with something that
doesn't have unwanted side effects.

Regards,
Mike