logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] License File <mapid>000_license.txt

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sun Apr 19 08:30:04 BST 2020

Hi Mike,

reg. Mapsource/Basecamp: I prefer to use Mapsource because I think it works better with the maps produced by mkgmap. Basecamp is probably better when you have maps in NT format.

reg. --index:
- AFAIK it is not about address search only, it also improves POI searches.
- The hint about "Note that this will require roughly twice as much memory" was added for those who run into memory problems when creating maps for large areas with maybe 1000+ tiles, esp. with a 32bit JRE. It is indeed confusing when you don't know the problem. Maybe we should add a different documentation about tuning where we could mention typical problems and known work arounds. It is probably not obvious that you can execute mkgmap with e.g
java -Xmx6G -jar mkgmap.jar ... -c template.args
java -Xmx6G -jar mkgmap.jar ... --index --gmapsupp *.img
java -Xmx6G -jar mkgmap.jar ... --index --gmapi *.img
to create the indexed mapsets in separate steps

reg. --nsis: AFAIK it first looks for the template files in directory resources\installer, if not found it uses the default templates. The distribution comes with
a examples\installer directory containing these defaults. It requires some experiments to find out where the directory resources\installer has to be
when you start mkgmap with a script.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Mike Baggaley <mike at tvage.co.uk>
Gesendet: Samstag, 18. April 2020 19:58
An: 'Development list for mkgmap'
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] License File <mapid>000_license.txt

Hi Gerd, now I understand where the file came from, I don't propose any
changes to the code, but attached is a patch to the documentation that adds
some information to assist users in making use of the --nsis option.

I have also replaced most of the occurrences of MapSource with BaseCamp as
MapSource was superseded 10 years ago by BaseCamp.

Also simplified the --index documentation - I think the information about
two indexes and sending a map to the GPS that is  currently included is
confusing and unnecessary, but you may not agree.

Cheers,
Mike