logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] [Fwd: Re: Suggestions for roadNameConfig.txt]

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Apr 16 13:58:01 BST 2020

Hi Nick,

I don't understand this comment. The roadNameConfig.txt is not about abbreviations.
I don't know a simple  method to find the length of a string but a regex could be used to find out if it is at least n characters.
Something like
str ~ '.{10}.*'
should only match for strings with at least 10 characters.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Pinns UK <osm at pinns.co.uk>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. April 2020 14:18
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] [Fwd: Re: Suggestions for roadNameConfig.txt]

Hi Ticker

I agree that at times the effect is strange, particularly with short road names

I have instead created my own list and only apply the abbreviation if the road name is over a certain length.

So Oak street does not become Oak St which looks very odd

Unfortunately I could not find a 'len' command to establish the length of a string - is there one?

Instead I have to check if a road name has a character at a certain position in the string.

Nick