logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter and options --description / --geonames-file

From Randolph J. Herber army.bronze.star at gmail.com on Fri Apr 10 14:58:13 BST 2020

Hi, all,

I agree with the addition of the option --add-google-plus.

Since I do not know the locations of most villages, town, and cities in
the cities500 file, naming the tiles after such entities is not as
helpful as I would like. My problems occur in Garmin MapSource and in
Garmin devices (I have over a dozen), where the tile description is
often the only indication of the location of the problem. The villages,
towns, and cities' name at least make the descriptions unique. That is
why I prefer a description that gives me a location directly.

I found out why I was not getting the KML file that I had requested. The
problem came from not reading the splitter documentation carefully
enough . I had overlooked the error message that would have told me the
file's proposed directory did not exist.

I got the kml file and used Google Earth to view it. No labels appear
directly. I clicked on the tile in the northeast tile to see the text
bubble.

A dictionary is not a thesaurus. A dictionary helps find the meaning of
a word. A thesaurus helps finding a word for a meaning.

Ein Wörterbuch ist kein Thesaurus. Ein Wörterbuch hilft dabei, die
Bedeutung eines Wortes zu finden. Ein Thesaurus hilft dabei, ein Wort
für eine Bedeutung zu finden.

I am trying to go the opposite direction than the other suggestions.

As for the licensing issues, please see Google Plus Codes Terms of Use
<https://plus.codes/terms>. They are quite liberal.

Randolph J. Herber