logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] documentation improvement

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Tue Apr 7 14:49:18 BST 2020

Hi all,

FYI:
I've tried this:
java -jar mkgmap.jar --gmapi --description=test1 --mapname=12344321 --description=test2  --gmapsupp --description=test3
f:\osm\test.osm.pbf --description=test4

and - as expected - the tile 12344321.img as well as the *.tdb files contain "test3" and only the gmapsupp.img contains test4.
So, --description works as any other option: order matters, repeated values overwrite previous value.
The only not-so-obvious thing is that the gmapsupp.img always contains  the last given value for --description, no matter where the --gmapsupp option appears.

I think Tickers sugestion is OK, but I would omit this part:
Suggested usage:
  ... -c options.cfg -c template.args --family-name=Scandinavia
  --description=Scandinavia --gmapsupp typFile.txt

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Ticker Berkin <rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 7. April 2020 11:33
An: Development list for mkgmap
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] documentation improvement

Hi Gerd & Mike

@gerd - as you say, it is better to just improve the documentation of
what is there. As far as I could see it was only the tiles and gmapsupp
that took the --description.

I'd suggest changing from:

;--description=text
:       Set the descriptive text for the map. This may be displayed in
QLandkarte, MapSource or on a GPS, where it is normally shown
below the family name. Example: --description="Germany, Denmark"
Please note: if you use splitter to build a template.args file
and pass it to mkgmap, then that file may contain a "description"
that will override this option. To prevent splitter from overriding
your description, place the --description option
after "-c template.args".

to:

;--description=text
:       Set the descriptive text of map components.
Map tiles take the most recent --description before the --input-file
that defines the tile.
gmapsupp.img takes the last --description.
Note that the splitter generated template.args includes
relevant --description values (see splitter --geonames-file).
The usage of the component descriptions is not consistent between
GPS devices, MapSource, Basecamp and QLandkarte.
Some use the --family-name to enable the complete map, others use the
gmapsupp.img description.
Some devices can enable individual tiles using the tile description.
Suggested usage:
  ... -c options.cfg -c template.args --family-name=Scandinavia
  --description=Scandinavia --gmapsupp typFile.txt

@mike - if you & Gerd are happy with something like this, do you want
to put it into your patch, otherwise I'll do it once your option
changes are out of the way.

Ticker