logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Errors converting "mapnik.txt" into "mapnik.typ" (information only)

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Wed Mar 25 15:09:29 GMT 2020

Hi Eric

I use mkgmap to convert typ-files from .txt to .typ (just stick
mapnik.txt at the end of the parameter list, after the map data files)
It doesn't give these errors.

Line 1959 - is TYPViewer objecting to "String=River..." because it
wants something of the form "String1=0x00,River..." or is it objecting
to the "," between River & Wadi?

Polygon 0x3d errors - Not sure what it doesn't like here, maybe the
indentation, as this is a significant thing different about it from,
say, 0x04. This polygon should be transparent - there was a long debate
about this at the beginning of the year. The only way to do this is
with a ICON.

>From my experiments, Garmin devices expect the TYP section to be in the
same character-set as the map to which it is attached. Using mkgmap to
do the conversion handles this. mapnik.txt needs to be in some unicode
encoding as it encompasses many languages; if TYPViewer doesn't allow
you to save in the required char-set then this is a fundamental problem
in using TYPViewer to do the conversion.

Ticker