logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] One object has more than one POI-tag (Hotel Café Restaurant)

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Mar 20 13:57:22 GMT 2020

Hi Eric,

1)  not sure if all your site relation problems can be solved with the relations style file, if not, please give an example and let us know what is impossible.
2) You can create multiple POI using the continue statement.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von AnkEric <eric_internet at casema.nl>
Gesendet: Freitag, 20. März 2020 14:20
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] One object has more than one POI-tag (Hotel Café Restaurant)

Issue: One object has (or should have) more than one POI-tags.

Possible situations:
* "Hotel Restaurant Xxxx"
* "Hotel Café Restaurant Xxxx"
* "Café Restaurant Xxxx"
* "Hotel Aaaa" and "Restaurant Aaaa" and "Café Aaaa" (same location, same
operator, name "Aaaa" is identical for all Objects, but only one Node on
OSM).

OSM best practice and OSM worst practice:

Relation: [type=site] + (building + hotel + restaurant + pub) as members.
But, issues, options:
* Address is on one node only. Duplicated addresses are error (imo), since
an address is (should be) unique.
* Name is set on relation only. But now I (as Renderer) cannot Get the name
from the relation and Set it to the individual POI’s. Also Validators will
complain: "this is a restaurant therefore a name is required".
* Name is set on all individual POI-nodes. Which is redundant and (imo)
therefore an Error.

Hotel + name is tagged on building outline ([building=hotel] +
[tourism=hotel] + [name=Hotel Aaaa]).
Also (imo) not correct: POI-tags should be set on Address-POI-node. I
sometimes search for a POI, look for the address and navigate there without
using GPS.
Also (some?) Renderers will not render POI-tags on building outline (JOSM).
No idea how mkgmap (default) style will handle this. For me
[mkgmap:line2poi] does resolve.

One POI-node: [tourism=hotel] + [amenity=restaurant].
No option to also Add [amenity=pub] (conflicting tag).
Renderer has to decide which POI will be rendered.

One POI-node One tag ONLY: OR [tourism=hotel] OR [amenity=restaurant] OR
[amenity=pub] OR [amenity=café]. Loss of information!
On OSM last Mapper will decide ( <cynical-mode> ): "I use this hotel only as
restaurant, therefore: Delete [tourism=hotel] + Set [amenity=restaurant]".
As a result: we cannot find our hotel on OSM (except - sometimes - by name).

Question (1):
Is it possible (for me as Renderer) to Get Name by site_relation?
Is it possible to Get address for all POI’s from the one Member having
address set? (Although not sure if this would be good practice, since
Renderer will now create Duplicated addresses).
I suggest (for now) a short answers should be either:
"Yes, you can: Read the Manual!", or: "Yes, you can: look at mkgmap default
style for an example!", or: "No!".

Question(2):
If "One POI-node: [tourism=hotel] + [amenity=restaurant]" can mkgmap
"DUPLICATE" a Node, so I can Render two POI’s: [hotel] + [restaurant]???
I do believe OsmAnd can do this. For a "DOUBLE-TAGGED-POI" I can search in
TWO different Categories: "Accommodation" and "Café and restaurant".
But also: OsmAnd can search for an address (by looking at near be
addresses). This is no option for Garmin GPS.
It might be even better (but I know: hard to implement) if I could Render
TWO POI's on slightly different locations (top and below):
- (hotel) "Hotel Aaaa"
- (restaurant) "Restaurant Aaaa"
OsmAnd will Render both POI’s on same location (but also: OsmAnd has an
option to show "Accommodation" and/or "Café and restaurant").