logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Tagging restaurants and categories

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Mar 2 22:45:37 GMT 2020

Hi blc,

not sure what this is about. If you want to discuss tagging of OSM objects this is the wrong list. If you want to know out how to tweak your garmin map style to use a different POI for a given type of shop you may be right here.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von blc <blc+mkgmap at mail.vanade.com>
Gesendet: Montag, 2. März 2020 21:07
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] Tagging restaurants and categories

I've noticed that category searching on my Garmin Nuvi that it will not
find Dunkin' Donuts when searching for Donut/Bagel in the USA.  I ended up
finding out that if an amenity is tagged amenity=fast_food the restaurant
will automatically be placed in the fast food category and nothing else.
The rub is that pretty much all donut/bagel shops necessarily are "fast
food" because the food needs to be prepared well in advance, waiting a
half hour or more for yeast to rise for fresh prepartion would be very
inconvenient.

According to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/POI_Types it seems
that perhaps only one category can be added per restaurant.  In this case
I wonder if it would be better to have categorization slightly different
where fast_food would be a later conditional, so that (in the USA)
Fazoli's (fast semicasual italian), Dunkin' Donuts, Einstein Bagels,
Winchell's, Lamar's Donuts, Krispy Kreme Donuts, Pizza Hut (fast casual
pizza), etc. should show up as their food category rather than simply as
fast food.

This is a bit tougher to manage with the automatic categorization with the
template tags when editing in iD.  I found a few independent donut shops
and having a hard time deciding whether to mark them as fast_food as they
definitely are, but they will subsequently not show up as a donut/bagel
shop.

Comments, or perhaps nobody really uses these things to find shops
anymore...