logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] precompiled sea

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Thu Jan 30 08:10:26 GMT 2020

Hi Mike,

quite a lot of missunderstandings ;)
1) The data in land-polygons-split-4326.zip is calculated (compiled) from OSM coastline data. AFAIK the same data is used by the renderer of https://www.openstreetmap.org
Find more details  here https://osmdata.openstreetmap.de/data/land-polygons.html
The expected avantage is that the coastline data produced by them is complete and correct (no gaps, no reversed coastline)
2) The data in sea.zip uses the OSM pbf format. It containes the result of processing this (hopefully correct) data using the algorithm that is used with --generate-sea=multipolygon. That's also a reason why it is called pre-compiled.
3) You should load the data of a rather small sea*.pbf file into JOSM to sea what it contains. You'll sea the result of "cutting out holes(islands) of a multipolygon".
So, the file contains only simple ways, no multipolygons.

If you don't want or cannot use precompiled sea data you should try the sub options of --generate-sea.

Gerd
PS: See also my trick regarding testing sea: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/precomp-sea-problem-tp5953261p5953281.html

Von: Mike Baggaley <mike at tvage.co.uk>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2020 00:24
An: 'Gerd Petermann'; 'Development list for mkgmap'
Betreff: RE: [mkgmap-dev] precompiled sea

Hi Gerd, having now read your link on generating sea yourself, I gather that
mkgmap cannot produce precompiled sea from OSM files, only from ESRI files.
I also wasn't aware that optional code had to be included to use the sea
generator. I could include the optional code in my mkgmap build, but it
looks like using precompiled sea is a non-starter for me if it can't read
OSM data. The original source of my land/sea border was ESRI, but this data
has gone through a filtering process and been converted to OSM format.

I had assumed that the precompiled sea tiles were in img format, but from
opening the precompiled sea zip file from the download page, I see the files
are pbf, suggesting that 'precompiled' is something of a misnomer if they
are just OSM files. I assume it refers to converting from ESRI to OSM, which
I don't need, as it looks like it is doing something pretty similar to what
I already have.

Ah well, back to the drawing board...

Cheers,
Mike