logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Connected ways rendered as Unconnected ways due to Garmin low resolution

From AnkEric eric_internet at casema.nl on Wed Jan 29 12:56:38 GMT 2020

I did find one 3 year old example:

<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/t344065/Changeset-46044991.jpg>

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/46044991 (AnkEric, 2/3/17)

Changeset Comment:
{highway=tertiary_link} (id:338819633) did NOT connect to Kanaalkade by
mkgmap Renderers for no obvious reason. Trying to resolve by mapping
DIFFERENTLY, not better or more correct.

By (temporarily) reverting my Changeset-46044991 you should be able to
verify:
1. OSM was OK before Changeset-46044991, all ways are connected. No Errors,
no warnings;
2. BUT: Rendering was not OK (see: image OpenFietsMap);
3. In my Changeset-46044991 I did not FIX or CORRECT errors. I only moved
some nodes;
4. Resolved by Changeset-46044991 (you just have to believe me on this);
5. In my Today's Map it's Rendered OK ("proof" 3 years after the fact).

<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/t344065/Rendering_Changeset-46044991_OK_date_29-01-2020.jpg>

Better example would be a highway (not) connecting to a roundabout. But I
cannot find an example.
Possible Mapping Errors in OSM:
Crossing highways/Way end node near other highway/Highway duplicated nodes.
JOSM validation will warm for all 3 possible errors/warnings.

<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/t344065/JOSM_validation_1x_Error_2x_Warning.jpg>

In my experience: OSM is OK, no Errors or Warnings, but the next day
(Overnight Map Making procedure) the Connected ways are Rendered AS
Unconnected.
I fact the connecting Node (1 node!) is Rendered twice on different map
locations: 1x as member of roundabout, 1x as member of the (un)connected
highway.

Oohhh, by the way, I don't understand any of this; -)

/ Eric (AnkEric)