logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Connected ways rendered as Unconnected ways due to Garmin low resolution

From AnkEric eric_internet at casema.nl on Wed Jan 29 10:28:38 GMT 2020

Hi All,

Minor, but irritating and hard to find issue. I have searched in Archive for
"Unconnected ways", but I cannot find any relevant postings on the subject.

Issue: in JOSM we can and should map accurately. A roundabout is a circle
(Create Circle), a building is a rectangle (Orthogonalize Shape).
Looking at the Map in https://www.openstreetmap.org/ it's perfect, in OsmAnd
it's rather oké, but MkgMap on Garmin Device (or BaseCamp) is a "sloppy"
polygon.

More important: connected highways are sometimes (sometimes!) rendered as
not connected. Therefore routing is not possible because of "Unconnected
ways".
These exceptions are hard to find (for me it is).
Validation Tools (JOSM, Osmose, OSMI, Keep Right) won't find these errors
because on OSM it's oké.

One example:

<http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/file/t344065/MKGMAP_NOT_Connected_highways.png>

To resolve (IF I do find an exception):
- and/or: Simplify ways, most specific for a roundabout (8 nodes is
preferred to 16 nodes).
- and/or: Move the Connecting node (which is Unconnected on the Map) very
slightly. Small, minor move is always enough to resolve.

Also: Rendering can resolve. If the issue does occur on a bicycle map
(highways are rendered by narrow lines) than the issue will not occur if the
width of a highway is rendered larger (on a Motorcar/general map).

I'm prepared for an answer like: "This is Garmin, not MkgMap!"

Or is something like "snap to grid" an option for MkgMap to resolve by a
work-around?

Or improved logging of exceptions? If I can find these "errors" I can
resolve! Most annoying (for me): my attempts to improve card quality leads
to "routing errors".

/ Eric (AnkEric)