logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] change handling of railway=abandoned

From Bernhard Hiller bhil at gmx.de on Tue Jan 21 10:36:34 GMT 2020

Hi Gerd,
of course, {deletealltags} is a different action: it removes the way
completely. "{add access=no}" just makes it unroutable, but leaves it
visible on the map.

Lte's take a look at the roads in my example (due to changes during the
last couple of hours, be sure to look at last year's version):
- the road to the south-west is a tertiary, without explicit access
tags, and railway=razed:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/326001702/history
- the road north-east into Meinershagen is a residential, without
explicit access tags, and railway=razed:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/617284819/history
- the road to the east is a primary, without explicit access tags, and
railway=razed:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/306731105/history

True, there is another difference: railway=razed is not
railway=abandoned. Can we be sure that all those tags used for
indicating a former railway, like abandoned - dismantled - disused -
razed etc., are always used correctly? I tried an overpass api search
for railway=abandoned and highway=*, but could not find out how to do it
correctly.

If those roads had railway=abandoned instead, they would no more be
routable with your rule. Or is there some catch?

Let's look at some examples showing that railway=abandoned is not always
used so strictly (or are milestones next to the way enough hints for the
former presence of a railway?):
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/121395347 has railway=abandoned,
highway=path, with explicit access tags for foot and bicycle. I think
the rule won't cause trouble here.

- https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/130369751 has railway=abandoned,
path=cycleway, and an access tag for foot (but not for bicycle). I think
the rule would then remove the access of bicycles to that cycleway.

- https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/101937226 has not yet been detected
by the historic railway mappers, and lacks any railway tags. The rule
won't do anything here ;-)

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/561220394 has railway=abandoned,
path=cycleway, and access tags for foot and bicycle. The rule won't
cause trouble here.

We should make sure that "access" won't be removed from highways with
that rule.

Kind regards,
Bernhard