logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] TYP files and character encoding

From Ticker Berkin rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk on Mon Jan 13 10:34:28 GMT 2020

Hi Gerd

I've updated this patch with changes to TypCompiler CharsetProbe:

1/ looks for unicode BOM in various encodings near start of file.
2/ looks for line containing "-*- coding: charset -*-" near start of
the file.
3/ retains the check for "CodePage=" coding for compatibility.
4/ in the absence of the above, sets the reading charset to utf-8 if
the file is valid utf-8, otherwise to Cp1252.
5/ fixes the bad character message from the scanner to say what the
charset really is rather than saying "uft-8" regardless.
6/ removes the logic to that checks if String... lines, read in the
charset it is currently trying, can be encoded in the presumed output
CodePage.

The final result of this patch should be that:

a/ No existing usage is broken
b/ 2 methods to indicate the charset/encoding of the file that are
commonly used by text editors can be used and are taken notice of.
Previously, just the UTF-8 BOM was detected.
c/ Typ files can, and should from now on, be written in utf-8
d/ labels for languages not supported in the --code-page of the output
img just generate a warning in mkgmap.log.x

Ticker