logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Jan 11 09:25:47 GMT 2020

Hi Andrzej,

thanks for the clarification.
Reg. first: You wrote "if all tiles contain DEM". My assumption was that it should be set "if any tile contains DEM".
Do you have a test case for that? I think of mapsets where DEM is stored in separate tiles.
Reg. second: I planned to set it if any tile contains contour lines (0x20 .. 0x22), but it would be much easier to always set it to 1

My understanding is that the flags are used to decide whether or not the dialog shows profile information before any tile details are processed.
The first flag seems rather obsolete, as the TDB file also contains the names and sizes of the DEM files, but maybe the developer thought that the flag is easier to process.
Obviously, Basecamp is able to calculate the flags on its own when it processes a gmapsupp on a USB device.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Andrzej Popowski <popej at poczta.onet.pl>
Gesendet: Freitag, 10. Januar 2020 23:55
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

Hi,

there are 2 consecutive bytes in TDB file. Let's name them "fist" and
"second".

Current processing of mkgmap is:
Option --show-profiles=0|1 sets byte "first" to 0 or 1.
Byte "second" is always 0.

Processing of cgpsmapper is:
Byte "first" is always 0.
Option HeightProfile=N|Y sets byte "second" to 0 or 1.
Cgpsmapper doesn't support DEM, so the option is evidently designed for
contour lines.

Processing of GMapTool:
Byte "first" is set to 1 if all tiles contain DEM, otherwise is set to 0.
Byte "second" is always set to 1.

I don't know, which way is valid or better. I suspect, that BaseCamp and
Mapsource can somehow deal with all cases.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej