logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Elevation data just partially accessable by Basecamp

From Karl-Heinz Kühnlein kalle_kuehnlein at hotmail.com on Thu Jan 9 22:52:40 GMT 2020

Hi all,

I recently tried to add DEM data to my OSM maps for Garmin. At a first look all was fine, hill shading and 3D viewing was amazing in any case. Then I had issues that Basecamp (4.7.1) can only access elevation data when the map is on an USB stick as an image. Here elevation data is display besides the Lat/Lon for the coursor position and created tracks have elevation data.
When I generate these maps in .gmap format or install (large) maps by registry (gmaptool 0973) the DEM data seems to be included in the map, because Hill Shading as well as 3D Viewing works fine, but in Basecamp created tracks do not have elevation information and the coursor position (bottom left corner) shows only Lat/Lon but no elevation.

I created a small map (50 km radius) to figure out working with DEM data. This map works well on USB stick as image and even when installed by registry. When generated  in .gmap format it shows the mentioned issues.

I also created larger maps (whole Germany, whole Alps) which only worked with full access to elevation data on USB stick, coursor elevation displayed and track elevation data included. But same issue when installed by registry or .gmap format.

What's wrong here? Are there size limitations for DEM data? Is there a difference between image on USB and the other installation options?

Thank you for any hint to solve this issue and by the way for your great job on developing this software!

Kind Regards
Kalle

Environment: mkgmap 4398, Basecamp 4.7.1
mkgmap options:  fly-for-fun.de/mkgm1267/02_run_mkgmap.bat
style/typ:           fly-for-fun.de/mkgm1267/kk-style.7z
maps:           fly-for-fun.de/mkgm1267/KK_MiFra_DEM.gmap.7z
                      fly-for-fun.de/mkgm1267/kk_MiFra_DEM.img