logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Bay polygons points conversion

From David david.tlp at orange.fr on Fri Dec 20 20:52:43 GMT 2019

To Ticker and Gerd,

My purpose is to delete what I considerer an error : like a county is a part of a country and it is not rendered by a dedicated polygon, bays are parts of sea/ocean and as on most of paper map, they should be rendered as a feature/landmark, ie their name. Using a polygon for a bay hides the holes made for islands and islets in sea polygons. This is the problem I encountered in Clew Bay (Ireland). To avoid that, I commented the corresponding line in polygons style file and I changed points style file like this to preserve bays name :

if (mkgmap:area2poi=true) then
natural=bay & name=* [0x6503 resolution 20]
else
#all other points rules
end

This does exactly what I want : to replace a bay named polygon by a Garmin defined POI with the name displayed on the map like other bays around Ireland.

The fact that I disable all other POIs created to make a possible search of polygons is not the initial question. I can easily add the ones I want in the  if statement.
To dig the hole, if I add a POI to a polygon to make it searchable (and to bloat my display with the name of the polygon),  name and other informations attached to the polygon are redundant and shall be deleted (informations and name shall be attached to the POI). Doing this is now my next step to complete the searchable places in my map (that is your fault, you inspired me !). But I fear it is not possible without doing some changes in mkgmap. Am I right ?

David