logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Bay polygons points conversion

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Dec 20 16:47:37 GMT 2019

Hi David,

not sure but it sounds like a missunderstanding.
The --add-pois-to-areas option generates a node for each polygon, but the rules in the points file decide if a POI is added to the map for such a node.
So, if you remove the natural=bay from the polygon rules there is no need to distinguish between generated natural=bay nodes or real OSM nodes with that tag.

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von David <david.tlp at orange.fr>
Gesendet: Freitag, 20. Dezember 2019 17:06
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: [mkgmap-dev] Bay polygons points conversion

The if else is needed in my case because the option « add-pois-to-areas » adds at least one point for each polygon/multipolygon. For example, if a polygon is used to display a named hospital, you will then have also a point with the same name. As explained in the documentation, it makes possible to search the hospital. For Ireland, adding pois to polygons adds at least 3Mb more to the final img file. In Qmapshack, the name of extra POIs is displayed. With the if statement, I do not render bay polygon in polygons style file but I add a corresponding POI in points style file only for bays.

This simple trick may need few lines in the documentation.

But, I think the problem is that a bay is an inner part of something bigger (like an administrative area is a part of a country). As we do not render counties with a special polygon, bay should not be rendered because they are parts of ocean or sea with no really borders. Last point the style 0x3d chosen for bays is in Garmin Europe map and other Garmin products used for lakes with a size between 77 and 250 km2. 0x3b and 0x45 are known as to be blue like sea polygon and correspond to « unknown ».

David