logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] Suggestions for roadNameConfig.txt

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Mon Dec 16 11:30:06 GMT 2019

Hi Ticker,

reg. search: You are probably right, address search works very different on the Garmin devices. On the Oregon, I have several dialogs, first to chose country, next to chose city or "all", next to type house number, last one asking for road name. In this dialog there is no autocompletion, I just have to type characters. Sometimes the device switches automatically to a result list while I am typing, sometimes it doesn't. When I press OK I get a list of matching roads.
So, for the Oregon it works fine. Maybe it doesn't for those devices with auto-completion. Cannot test this right now. I tried it once with a Nüvi and it seemed to work well, but I don't own one.

Reg. combination of   --road-name-config and --split-name-index: Yes, this gives confusing results. Not sure if it worked better in the past.
I tried with Essex extract:
java -jar d:\mkgmap\dist\mkgmap.jar --bounds=f:\osm\bounds.zip --gmapi --net --index  --road-name-config=d:\mkgmap\resources\roadNameConfig.txt --gmapsupp --split-name-index f:\dwnload\temp\essex-latest.osm.pbf

According to Mapsource a search for "Mace" without giving a city name should list "John Mace Road", "Mace Avenue", "Mace Court", and "Mace Walk", maybe in a different order.
Without your patch I  get a list showing "Mace Road", "Mace Avenue", and "Mace Walk", so "Mace Court" is missing and when I select "Mace Road" the device shows the "John Mace Road".
With your patch this gets worse: The list shows only "Mace Road", when I select that entry I get a new list containing ",Thurrock","Braintree,Essex","Chelmsford,Essex", and "Colchester, Essex". Each of them points to just one of the expected roads.

Results look much better when I specify a city name.
Result also looks very different without the --split-name-option.
I have to do more tests, I think it worked better in the past. Maybe sorting is broken.