logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style improvements

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Sat Feb 23 07:57:36 GMT 2019

Hi Michael,

> @ Gerd: Could you check the latest releases, please. I cannot find the mapnik.txt in the zip.

The file is in the mkgmap-default-typ-r4268.zip You have to scroll down on the download site to find it.
But it is not the latest version published by Joris because my understanding is that Steve has to fix something in the TYP file
compiler or reader to suppress a wrong warning about a code page mismatch.
@Steve: Am I wrong?

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Michael Poesdorf <michael.poesdorf at poesinet.de>
Gesendet: Sonntag, 17. Februar 2019 11:01
An: 'Development list for mkgmap'
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] default style improvements

Hello Ticker

I had a look into the 3 mails/proposals of yours.
Point and Lines are in a way easy. More interesting is the look into the polygons.
To get the map impression I implemented the changes to polygons, lines and points of r4268. I also modified the mapnik.typ.
Please find the relevant files attached. Maybe someone else wants to have a look.
Recognize changed style lines by my comments starting with ###. The added polygons in the typ-file should be easily recognizable. Also the lines and points.

Please have a look at these 3 topics:
1)
“Park”. There is already 0x17. You ask for 0x1e and 0x1f, also as “Park”.
Not sure if we need this kind of differentiation.
0x1e is not on the typ - I created a 0x1f.

2)
landuse=retail, 0x12. What is the difference to “Shopping center”?
Nevertheless implemented in the typ.

3)
0x17 – the Park-topic
I implemented the requested typs also. And I understand that there are many different usages for areas.
The problem that I see is the colouring. We might get many quite similar coloured areas. Fifty shades of green.
Maybe recognizable in Basecamp on a computer, but not that easy to distinguish on devices (like my Montana 610).
In case DEM is used, all the flavours become darker. Night colours not considered.
It is do-able, but requires some a sense for colours.
With landuse=farmland I had to split that line into two, to follow your idea. You will see it from the comments.

To sum up: It works for me. If we do the changes to the default style, we should also change the default typ-file with some reasonable colouring.
Maybe Joris could comment what is do-able in the mapnik colour schema.

@ Gerd: Could you check the latest releases, please. I cannot find the mapnik.txt in the zip.

Cheers, Michael