logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] default style improvements

From Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com on Sun Jan 6 13:46:25 GMT 2019

Ticker Berkin <rwb-mkgmap at jagit.co.uk> writes:

> I know that the OSM definition says square should have area=yes, but I
> find a vast number where there is no area tag and they seem to be
> square/piazza, eg
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5174171
>
> With Italy data from July 2018, I get about 5000 highway=pedestrian
> polygons without an area tag, and, from a small sample, about 1 in 3
> look like piazza.
>
> The only effect is that a polygon is generated, it doesn't effect
> routes. I prefer to see the possible square rendered.

I see this as part of a larger issue: when the OSM data is wrong, but
it's possible to figure out what it should have been, should those
errors be fixed up in map generation?

A compromise might be to explicitly note the workaround in the style
file, rather than making it seem like the style is correctly
interpreting the data.