logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] supershort ways - creating routing problems on some devices

From Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com on Mon Nov 12 18:01:03 GMT 2018

Hi Everyone,

with my style
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/111528845
this micromapping of steps is creating problems for autorouting. It would
be great if there would be a way to force join ways below XX meters to the
next longer way (or other way around).

Basically here someone mapped ways 1-2m long - so it's a 2m piece of
highway=footway, then 2m highway=step step_count=1, then again 2m of
highway=footway, then 2m of highway=steps, step_count=4, then 1m long
highway=footway - and then finally a little longer highway=steps with 11
steps.
Now there is no way right now to simply drop the highway=steps and join it
to another way - as in style we do not know what the other way actually is.
Optimally here either highway=steps is removed and all made highway=footway
(footways often have steps) or the other way round - the short footways
become highway=steps and the footway pieces thereby removed.
It would be good to have a filter remove ways shorter than XMeters - and do
the joining (maybe needs a separate file for rules? I guess mostly such
ways are highway=steps anyhow however).

With my map this causes garmin devices to freeze. With others it's fine -
but this micromapping really serves not much. On the other hand of course
we cannot remove the detail from OSM in the database.

The remove-short-arcs options once did something similar - but it's ben
deprecated.

Felix

Schusterbergweg 32/8
6020 Innsbruck