logo separator

[mkgmap-dev] splitter: option for maximum tile area?

From Gerd Petermann gpetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com on Fri Nov 2 18:24:34 GMT 2018

Hi Bernhard,

what are your rules for the contour lines?

Von: mkgmap-dev <mkgmap-dev-bounces at lists.mkgmap.org.uk> im Auftrag von Bernhard Hiller <bhil at gmx.de>
Gesendet: Freitag, 2. November 2018 19:18
An: mkgmap-dev at lists.mkgmap.org.uk
Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] splitter: option for maximum tile area?

Hi all,
still struggling with that strange issue. But I guess I found some hint
to the cause: inconsistent file sizes.
- extracted OSM data: 400 MB pbf
- elevation contour lines: 600 MB pbf
- merged file: 1 GB pbf
So far, sizes are consistent.

When I run splitter on the OSM data only file, it produces many tiles
summing up to some 400 MB. Consistent, too. When I run mkgmap on this
output, I get a map within about half an hour, and it looks OK (tested
with QLandkarte).

When I run splitter on the merged file, the tiles sum up to some 9 GB.
That is 9 times the size I'd expect. mkgmap can render several of those
tiles (but very slowly); and then crashes on one of them with an
OutOfMemory exception.

So I think that the problem is somewhere in those contour lines, either
when merged or alone.
I'll try to create a contour lines only map as the next step to test
this hypothesis.

Kind regards,
Bernhard